If you want your ecommerce website to get ranked in the search engine results on a certain keyword phrase, on-page search engine optimization is a must. On-page SEO refers to the keyword optimization that is performed on the website itself, primary through its content.
The three content elements on a webpage that are most important for SEO are the Page Title, Meta Description, and On-Page Copy, or visible text. These elements are crucial when optimizing product pages or category pages for ecommerce SEO.
In this post, we are going to share with you some best practices tips for on-page SEO via these three content elements.
The page title tag refers to the title or 'main subject' of a site. It is the hyperlink that shows up in the SERP (search engine results page), just above the Meta description and the URL of the webpage. Page titles are also important because they inform users of the content that they will see on the website once they visit it.
For SEO, the page title is one of the major factors of establishing keyword relevancy for a webpage. It is thus important to write a well balanced page title that is both keyword friendly and user friendly. Below we outline several rules of thumb to follow when writing well optimized page titles.
1. Ensure that the title for each webpage is unique. On many ecommerce sites, particularly those on content management systems (CMS), it is easy to have automatically generated page titles that are consistent across the site. Be sure to customize and keyword optimized each page title for its respective webpage.
2. Use title tag to accurately describe the content of the webpage. This gives search engine users an honest idea of what the page is about, and is one of the reasons why a unique page title is key.
3. It is recommended that the page titles are somewhere between 60 and 70 characters long. Most search engine like Google will only display some many characters, so keep your titles tight and to the point.
4. In the title tag, always include the exact phrase match of your primary keyword target for that page, and as early as possible. This is very important for SEO and will maximize your potential to rank in the search results.
5. When separating keywords or phrasing in the page title, use basic characters like commas, hyphens, or clean pipes ('|') - avoid using special characters that can waste character space.
Meta descriptions are short website summaries showing up below hyperlinked titles in SERPs. Meta descriptions simply describe webpages by embellishing a bit on what the title is about. Meta descriptions, like page titles, are not visible on the actual page, however they are still a very important element for on-page SEO.
Meta descriptions are important because they help to tell visitors a little more of what a page is about. A good Meta description is is informative, expresses value, and will often times include a call to action. Below are some best practices tips while writing solid Meta descriptions with SEO in mind.
1. It is recommended that your Meta description are between 150 and 200 characters long. Stick to around 150 characters because Google and other search engine will only display about 160 characters.
2. Be creative and compelling with you descriptions. Include action words (call to actions) and really promote what is unique about this page (or product). Do you offer free shipping or any special promotions?
3. Like page titles, use your primary keyword target early in the Meta description. If you have room, try using a secondary keyword variation towards the end, but do this respectively and avoid keyword stuffing.
The on-page copy is what users read while browsing your webpages. It is thus important that your copy is unique and valuable to users. Writing fluff, generic copy will only diminish the quality of your website.
Writing well-optimizing copy is not easy. It is typically a balancing act of including some instances of your keyword targets, while still expressing creativity, value, and compelling users to take action. Not all of us are professional SEO copywriters, but there are a few key tips to keep in mind while writing on-page copy for SEO.
1. Strong tag (not bold) your keywords to let search engine spiders know that this specific phrase is a bit more important than others.
2. Use other content styling attributes like italics or underlining to express emphasis in you text. Whether your keywords are involved or not, these elements offer users a bit more stimulation when reading your site's copy.
3. Use blend of different headers. That is, logically make use of H1's, H2's, and H3's throughout your pages. Think of H1's as the primary title of a page, while h2's and h3's are supportive sub-headers. Include your keywords in these headers respectively.
4. Include your primary keyword target at least once or twice in the page copy. You do not need to keyword stuff, but mentioning your keyword target in the fist few lines of text is essential of SEO.
5. Depending on the nature of you page, try to write at least 200 words or more of content. The more valuable content you can offer on you pages, typically the more respect you'll gain from the search engines.
Well future optimizers, there you have it - A starter's guide to on-page website optimization. If you have any other ideas to share, we'd love to hear about them in the comments section below.continue...
Many ecommerce businesses are struggling with PPC campaigns as a result of making some major mistakes over and over again. The good thing is that, once they learn from their mistakes, they are able to see the fruits of their ecommerce PPC efforts.
To better improve your ecommerce site's PPC efforts, consider the following 5 mistakes made in PPC advertising and how to make things right for your business.
1. Forcing visitors to your homepage first: Ecommerce PPC ads should be able to send visitors to the relevant pages they searched for. Many people always create links which send visitors directly to the homepage. This forces them to navigate around for the kind of service or product that they were searching for. Unfortunately, most people do not have the patience to do this and will likely click off if they do not see what they were searching for immediately. For this reason, make sure that when visitors search for a specific service or product you offer, you send them right to the page where you discuss this product or service of interest instead of the homepage.
2. Disregarding negative keywords by using too many broad match keywords: Many people use the broad match keywords because it is no secret that they yield a high ROI. However, one strategy that can come in handy is having a list of negative keywords as well. Make use of negative keywords and a good number of exact match keywords as well. This will yield better PPC campaign management benefits as opposed to having only the broad match keywords.
3. Repeating the content in the description and headline: Many people do not realize that saying the same thing on the headline and description is a simple waste of space. The headline and description always work together. For this reason, you must not repeat information about your PPC ad on both no matter how tempting it might seem. If something is already highlighted on the headline then do not repeat it on the description.
4. Overlooking the testing procedures: Many companies ignore testing due to a number of reasons. Testing is a very critical aspect of any ecommerce PPC campaign. It must be considered before the PPC campaign even begins. Look at the testing tools available and choose one that is appropriate for your business. However, avoid running too many tests concurrently. This will only create confusion and become a waste of time.
5. Ignoring your competition: Whoever said that you should keep your friends close and your enemies even closer was right. In you ecommerce PPC efforts your competition is of extreme importance since you need to know what you are up against. You need to analyze their ads from time to time so that you can look at the features which will give you a better chance of getting more clicks. For instance, if your competitor’s ads are conveying a message of cheap products and services then aim at making your own target consumers in this manner as well. In summary, mistakes in ecommerce PPC advertising are common and you only need to acknowledge then learn from them.
Do you have any PPC optimization tips that you'd like to share? Let us know in the comments section below.continue...
The practice of landing page optimization centers on improving the conversion potential of your paid search advertising traffic. The focus is to direct the attention of your visitors so that they are more compelled to complete your conversion goal.
Whether you conversion goal is a sale or a sign-up, there are several universal techniques you can employ for landing page optimization. Below we share with you seven tips to maximize the performance of your landing pages.
The opportunities to exploit various forms of media for a website are constantly evolving. As a result, can explore various forms of rich media to optimize your landing pages. Taking advantage of videos can be a great way to bolster visitor attention without requiring them to read a bunch of copy. Images and graphics are also a powerful way to maximize your landing page's conversion potential.
Most people think that their website's homepage is the best landing page for their paid search advertising. In most cases, a homepage is far too broad to meet user expectations. Not only is the content too broad but the homepage typically contains too many options and snippets of information. Landing pages need to be highly focused and dedicated per ad campaign or ad group.
Create a variety of landing pages that are dedicated to multi-audience users. This practice is commonly known as traffic segmentation and it's usually applied to PPC campaigns that anticipate a number of different audience types. The creation of segmented landing pages may be best inspired by research and interpreting Analytics data.
Stunning headlines are what get heads turning and users engaged. Writing a superb title or headline will be the primary factor to attract and sustain the attention of a visitor. While writing a headline, keep in mind that it should be focused, and elicit curiosity in the user to the point of reading it.
Avoid distracting your visitors with complex navigation links and opportunities to explore other pages of your website. Maintain the focus of you landing pages by eliminating extra options that can deter the achievement of your conversion goals. The approach behind landing page design should direct users to the point of interest that got them clicking on the ad in the first place.
Ensure that your unique selling propositions (USP's, like free shipping, buyer incentives, etc) stand out from in the content. Differentiate your business from you competitors and emphasize to your target visitor why they should be buying from you, and not them.
You can create an Internet buzz through social media if your landing page is an item that can be easily shared. Social media sites such as Twitter and Facebook can rapidly spread the buzz around. However, it has to be an item that represents something personalized and humane rather than the usual spam on the Internet.
Do you have any landing page optimization tips that you'd like to share? Let us know in the comments section below!continue...
For success in ecommerce PPC advertising, it’s important to write great ad copy that are up-to-date and interesting to stay ahead of the ever changing consumer needs, and seasons. What you do with your ad copy can determine the end results.
Well-written ads attract attention and helps answer your potential users' questions. Writing great ads (and keeping them up-to-date with evolving user needs) can significantly help improve conversation rates.
Many people go online to look for the best deals and offers on products. Studies show that 5-6 out of 10 people do most of their shopping online. Online shopping especially during the holidays is a big deal. For success marketing your products online, you have to use every optimization tool you know of to increase conversion rate. This includes writing better ad copy.
In almost any context of ecommerce PPC advertising, good ad copy:
To create great ads that attract attention and increases conversion rate, you have to go beyond and above in your ad creation. Your ecommerce PPC ads need to convince potential consumes why they should choose your product over your competitor’s. With this in mind let’s look at how to write Ads that evokes positive consumer feelings and response and essentially improves conversion rates.
1. Make your ad all about the consumer - The online space is crowded with different products, brands, suppliers and online marketers. A single search on products in your niche gives potential consumers hundreds of options to choose from, how then can you make your ad stand out from the rest? The answer is to focus your ads on your consumer.
Use you, you’re, your to maintain consumer focus. For instance instead of writing how to lose weight with ABC, optimize the ad to read how you can lose weight using ABC. Maintaining a user focus when writing your ecommerce PPC ad copy can help increase your conversion rate with up to 65%.
2. Highlighting Consumer Benefits vs. Product Features - Customers have thousands of products to choose from and want to choose a product that meets their needs the best. To attract attention, write an Ad that highlights how a potential customer will benefit from your product, your Ad should tell the consumer the problem it will solve if they choose to buy it. Your consumer will readily move on to your competitor if they have to figure out how your product features will help them in real life
3. Satisfy potential user’s needs – Consumers prefer investing in products that satisfy their needs, not just wants. A need signifies something necessary, while a want is something you can do without. Use need in your ad copy to show the consumer that your product isn’t just something they want, but something they need. Fulfilling your potential user needs in your ad copy can significantly increase the conversion rate.
How you write great copy can either make or break your online marketing campaigns. Make the product about the consumer, highlight product advantages instead of features, and needs vs. wants to rouse consumer interest and to increase the conversion rate. You will reap immensely from writing great ad copy to promote your products online.continue...
In order to make it easier for potential customers to find your ecommerce store, you need to employ the right SEO strategies to increase your website’s ranking on search engines like Google.
By increasing your ranking, your ecommerce site's organic search listing will rank higher in search engine results pages, making it more likely that people looking for your products and services will visit your site. Below are five effective SEO tips can help increase your ecommerce site rankings in Google.
Schema is under used by most websites, even though it has existed for several years. Since it has been under used, you may not know what it is. Schema is microdata that can be added to a website to make it easier for Google analyze and interpret the information on web pages to help retrieve the most relevant information for users based on their searches.
Schema elements and attributes are added directly to the HTML code to provide additional information to search crawlers. There are many different forms of Schema, but Product Schema is one of the most powerful for ecommerce SEO, higher rankings, and greater click-through rates. For more information various Schema types, check out this post at EcommerceSEOMarketing.com.
SEO copywriting is used to create compelling text based content for your website. Where in the past it involved focusing on keywords in your articles or blog posts in order to help searchers find your website, the value of the content is just as important.
If content can increase your search engine ranking if it is fresh and provides your web visitors with information they need, or didn’t know they needed. Good, fresh content is also shareable, which will also help to increase your website ranking in Google.
Some SEO experts consider sitemaps as second most important web page on a site, with the landing page being number one. A sitemap helps users find web pages on a site with the information the user wants. It is basically a blueprint or index where information can be found on the website. A segmented sitemap separates the site’s content by category and it can be set up to tell search engines when fresh content has been posted, which will help increase your website ranking on Google.
Having backlinks to your site is also important to increasing your website’s ranking, especially on Google, so you should run a backlink analysis on your website. As a vital component to any ecommerce SEO marketing strategy, the analysis should tell you the number of links you have, the number of unique domains you’re linking to, the anchor text you’re using and the variety of the text, the number of fresh links on your site, the quality of links you have, etc.
There are a variety of tools that you can find online to help you do a good backlink analysis. Our favorite is Majestic, formally known as Majestic SEO.
Along with keeping fresh content on your site, creative content can compel visitors to perform an action, such as to buy something or sign up for your newsletter. If you can compel your web visitors to watch video content or sign up for email alerts, you increase your chances of turning them into buying customers.continue...
Ecommerce news and information about E-marketing, social media, and more.YisooTraining.com
An online training course platform that features hands-on learning modules in Google Ads, SEO, and more.
The direct link to Yisoo Training's Google Ads online course, a great value for beginner and advanced advertisers.
Company offering SEO and Internet Marketing services for Ecommerce Websites.
Whether for large ecommerce websites or small business sites, here you can find solutions for SEO-friendly web design services.
Yes, also applicable to ecommerce stores, see local SEO strategies and news to help businesses craft successful Google Maps marketing campaigns.
Take your SEO and web marketing efforts to the next level with web presence optimization, and this profoundly awesome strategy guide.
A highly informative Squidoo lens that outlines 3 best practices techniques for "white hat" SEO link building for websites.
Explore a blog that is dedicated to righteous business practices. Find inspiring ideas, industry examples, and insights to improve your business.
More than just SEO, this website optimization company takes into consideration the critical elements that help to convert users after they land on your webpages.
Learn SEO copywriting tips for ecommerce sites. Ensure your product pages are keyword relevant and compelling to customers.
Know these strategies for Pay Per Click advertising and PPC optimization. They are highly valuable for ecommerce marketers.
This is a great article on what to consider when shopping for a SEO specialist or website optimization company.
The ultimate how-to guide on doing local SEO, specifically if you operate a northern Michigan business
Find information, resources, and services for ecommerce search engine optimization, such as link building, content marketing, and more.
This is a great article that provides tips for small business ecommerce sites trying to compete with big-budget goliaths.
Awesome blog that shares tips, strategies, and resources on SEO and website optimization
A great blog dedicated to sharing SEO tips and strategy insights specifically for ecommerce sites.
An insightful blog that offers creative ideas for entrepreneurs and business owners.
Personal SEO Blog with Tips, Strategies and Insights on All things related to SEO.