If you want your ecommerce website to get ranked in the search engine results on a certain keyword phrase, on-page search engine optimization is a must. On-page SEO refers to the keyword optimization that is performed on the website itself, primary through its content.
The three content elements on a webpage that are most important for SEO are the Page Title, Meta Description, and On-Page Copy, or visible text. These elements are crucial when optimizing product pages or category pages for ecommerce SEO.
In this post, we are going to share with you some best practices tips for on-page SEO via these three content elements.
The page title tag refers to the title or 'main subject' of a site. It is the hyperlink that shows up in the SERP (search engine results page), just above the Meta description and the URL of the webpage. Page titles are also important because they inform users of the content that they will see on the website once they visit it.
For SEO, the page title is one of the major factors of establishing keyword relevancy for a webpage. It is thus important to write a well balanced page title that is both keyword friendly and user friendly. Below we outline several rules of thumb to follow when writing well optimized page titles.
1. Ensure that the title for each webpage is unique. On many ecommerce sites, particularly those on content management systems (CMS), it is easy to have automatically generated page titles that are consistent across the site. Be sure to customize and keyword optimized each page title for its respective webpage.
2. Use title tag to accurately describe the content of the webpage. This gives search engine users an honest idea of what the page is about, and is one of the reasons why a unique page title is key.
3. It is recommended that the page titles are somewhere between 60 and 70 characters long. Most search engine like Google will only display some many characters, so keep your titles tight and to the point.
4. In the title tag, always include the exact phrase match of your primary keyword target for that page, and as early as possible. This is very important for SEO and will maximize your potential to rank in the search results.
5. When separating keywords or phrasing in the page title, use basic characters like commas, hyphens, or clean pipes ('|') - avoid using special characters that can waste character space.
Meta descriptions are short website summaries showing up below hyperlinked titles in SERPs. Meta descriptions simply describe webpages by embellishing a bit on what the title is about. Meta descriptions, like page titles, are not visible on the actual page, however they are still a very important element for on-page SEO.
Meta descriptions are important because they help to tell visitors a little more of what a page is about. A good Meta description is is informative, expresses value, and will often times include a call to action. Below are some best practices tips while writing solid Meta descriptions with SEO in mind.
1. It is recommended that your Meta description are between 150 and 200 characters long. Stick to around 150 characters because Google and other search engine will only display about 160 characters.
2. Be creative and compelling with you descriptions. Include action words (call to actions) and really promote what is unique about this page (or product). Do you offer free shipping or any special promotions?
3. Like page titles, use your primary keyword target early in the Meta description. If you have room, try using a secondary keyword variation towards the end, but do this respectively and avoid keyword stuffing.
The on-page copy is what users read while browsing your webpages. It is thus important that your copy is unique and valuable to users. Writing fluff, generic copy will only diminish the quality of your website.
Writing well-optimizing copy is not easy. It is typically a balancing act of including some instances of your keyword targets, while still expressing creativity, value, and compelling users to take action. Not all of us are professional SEO copywriters, but there are a few key tips to keep in mind while writing on-page copy for SEO.
1. Strong tag (not bold) your keywords to let search engine spiders know that this specific phrase is a bit more important than others.
2. Use other content styling attributes like italics or underlining to express emphasis in you text. Whether your keywords are involved or not, these elements offer users a bit more stimulation when reading your site's copy.
3. Use blend of different headers. That is, logically make use of H1's, H2's, and H3's throughout your pages. Think of H1's as the primary title of a page, while h2's and h3's are supportive sub-headers. Include your keywords in these headers respectively.
4. Include your primary keyword target at least once or twice in the page copy. You do not need to keyword stuff, but mentioning your keyword target in the fist few lines of text is essential of SEO.
5. Depending on the nature of you page, try to write at least 200 words or more of content. The more valuable content you can offer on you pages, typically the more respect you'll gain from the search engines.
Well future optimizers, there you have it - A starter's guide to on-page website optimization. If you have any other ideas to share, we'd love to hear about them in the comments section below.
Ecommerce news and information about E-marketing, social media, and more.YisooTraining.com
An online training course platform that features hands-on learning modules in Google Ads, SEO, and more.
The direct link to Yisoo Training's Google Ads online course, a great value for beginner and advanced advertisers.
Company offering SEO and Internet Marketing services for Ecommerce Websites.
Whether for large ecommerce websites or small business sites, here you can find solutions for SEO-friendly web design services.
Yes, also applicable to ecommerce stores, see local SEO strategies and news to help businesses craft successful Google Maps marketing campaigns.
Take your SEO and web marketing efforts to the next level with web presence optimization, and this profoundly awesome strategy guide.
A highly informative Squidoo lens that outlines 3 best practices techniques for "white hat" SEO link building for websites.
Explore a blog that is dedicated to righteous business practices. Find inspiring ideas, industry examples, and insights to improve your business.
More than just SEO, this website optimization company takes into consideration the critical elements that help to convert users after they land on your webpages.
Learn SEO copywriting tips for ecommerce sites. Ensure your product pages are keyword relevant and compelling to customers.
Know these strategies for Pay Per Click advertising and PPC optimization. They are highly valuable for ecommerce marketers.
This is a great article on what to consider when shopping for a SEO specialist or website optimization company.
The ultimate how-to guide on doing local SEO, specifically if you operate a northern Michigan business
Find information, resources, and services for ecommerce search engine optimization, such as link building, content marketing, and more.
This is a great article that provides tips for small business ecommerce sites trying to compete with big-budget goliaths.
Awesome blog that shares tips, strategies, and resources on SEO and website optimization
A great blog dedicated to sharing SEO tips and strategy insights specifically for ecommerce sites.
An insightful blog that offers creative ideas for entrepreneurs and business owners.
Personal SEO Blog with Tips, Strategies and Insights on All things related to SEO.